Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Experience

It's clear that I have been neglecting to write lately.  Lets just say I had a huge mind cramp.  For every sentence I would type, I would delete two just as quick.  Writers block, mind freeze, brain fart, you can call it what you will be the honest response would be, I just wasn't inspired.  I had nothing on my mind.  Nothing worth mentioning or I felt like talking about that is.  Up until a couple days ago, I was in this funk.  A long, 20 something day funk.  I wanted to get out of it.  I had to get out of it.  And the most unexpected thing happened.


Have you ever met someone, maybe a person you have known for a little bit or maybe even a complete stranger and everything just clicked?  Things started making sense. Your days were getting better.  Your head was becoming clear.  Inspiration was seeping in and your view on things changed completely.
Well, when I think about life and living, I am "one of those" who feel as though everything happens for a reason.  And whether you believe it or not certain people are placed in your life to help or change you along the way.  It is up to you to seize the opportunity and to notice when that exact moment happens.


Now, in every moment in life, I have come to notice that the most important thing is those first 20 seconds of meeting someone.  Within those first 20 seconds you have already decided or shall I say judged who this person is.  Are they worth talking to any further?  And sometimes, just sometimes, is this the person I was meant to meet?


Well earlier this week, June 24th 2012 to be exact, I met that person.  I was stopped on the street by this beautiful German brunette, Franziska.  She had stopped to ask for directions or maybe some pointers on where to see "something cool" in the city (Bam, my 20 seconds has started right at that moment).  Unfortunately, being new to the area myself I had no idea.  So Franziska asked where the city maps were located.  This was it 10 seconds left, and I made a great decision, I told her I would take her to those maps.  Long story short we exchanged numbers and made plans to see each other that next day (I would have stayed with her that whole day but I had to be in work within the hour).  Little did I know that, that Sunday was the start of my best week living in California to date.  It wasn't only because she was such an attractive female that made her special but it was everything else that came with it.  She is 23, already traveled to 19 different countries and just has an amazing outlook on life.  Also she is one of the smartest people I know, speaks multiple languages, has knowledge on so many different topics on other countries histories and she is a social butterfly.  I won't get into details about the times I spent with her but I will share the main reason why this blog entry exists in the first place.


Experience.  Yes.  Simple word, I know, experience.  Franziska told me on more than one occasion that I need to experience new things.  Different foods, cultures, countries, sights, everything life can through at you, just experience it all.  Here I was thinking moving 3000+ miles away from home was experience enough.  But once I really thought about it, for the most part I was still doing the same things I was doing back in Rhode Island.  I believe it was Eleanor Roosevelt that once said, "The purpose of life is to live it, to taste the experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences."    That is how everyone should live.  It is such an easy concept but it took a stranger from another country to make me realize this.  So to anyone still reading.  Do not sit back and just coast through life.  Get in there, get dirty, experience everything that life has to offer because if you don't, one day, you'll regret it.

So a very special thank you to a great friend Franziska, The First 20 Seconds and my first of many new experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment